Tuesday, September 18, 2007

High end laptop Vs What you need

Almost every week I encounter myself with some of my friends, colleagues about buying a new laptop or desktop computer, and we endup arguing on buying hight end or right thing for job discussion. While they says they want huge hardisk, 2 GB RAM, and Graphics cards, etc, I personally feel that one should buy a laptop for the proposed use of it and what they will be using the laptop for and not for the sake of having everything in it.

I remember, in one of my previous company we had a bulky laptop which almost had everything, but you just couldn't take it with you everywhere because it was too heavy on your shoulders, and finally it got dumped in IT area, used occasionally only to write DVDs using its dual-layer DVD writer -;.

I personally think, that when you are planning to buy a laptop, first analyze what you will be using it for? if you answer is "at office, always on the move, only using word and outlook, and FireFox", then go for a light weight one having average CPU(I guess dual-core has being average now a day), RAM, and Storage capacity, and it will burn a less hole in your pocket for not spending on the features which you will rarely use. I hope many people would agree with me on this.

If we say you should go with the latest, then I say the moment a product lands on the stores aisles and is affordable by common man, it is not latest anymore, believe me. Everything which is latest today will become old in few months span of buying it. But you can always stay problem free if you buy a tested technology which is there to stay and can do your job without needing any patches or new drivers and compatibility issues later.

So, I say buy a laptop or computer for the job you want to do with it, not for having latest laptop with huge storage, ram, and etc.

No comments: